You may hear the people around you talk about having high or low self esteem, but what exactly is self esteem?
Self Esteem: One's belief in their own self-worth and how they see themselves. It relates to self-love and confidence.
Where does self esteem come from?
The people around you such as your friends, family and teachers can have an effect on how you feel about yourself. For example, if your friends compliment you, you begin to feel good about yourself. However, when someone says something harsh to you, you begin to feel bad about yourself.
Tips on boosting your self esteem / self love:
- Compliment yourself. Every morning write 3 good things about yourself and say it out loud. If you are in a rush for school then take 1 minute to look at yourself in the mirror and tell yourself that you are a strong individual who can get through the day.
- Surround yourself with positivity. Try your best to be around the people that make you smile and make you feel like yourself. Not only will you benefit from this, but also your friends will too.
- Stop comparing yourself to other people. Studies show that people who use social media are more likely to have low self esteem because they keep on comparing themselves to other people. We all sometimes forget that people usually share the best parts of their lives. Focus on your life because your best may not be someone else's best (vice versa). Remind yourself that every time you have prevented yourself from making mistakes that you have made before shows that you are making progress.
- Practise self-care. The more that you show that you value your health, the more you will begin to love yourself. You could start doing 10 minute exercises, eat healthily or even spend some time in creating a skincare routine. All these small changes can create a positive impact on your self esteem.
- Music. Listen to songs that are uplifting. Here are some suggestions:
Firework - Katy Perry Love Myself - BTS
Who says - Selena Gomez This is me - Keala Settle
Fight Song - Rachel Platten Stronger - Kelly Clarkson
I hope that you have now become more aware of what self esteem is and how to boost it. My overall message is that you should take care of yourself in order to grow your self-love. Loving yourself is one of the strongest forms of love, and you can and deserve to possess it. Through the tips given, your self esteem will gradually get better, and hopefully one day you can help someone you know who struggles with low self esteem to improve on themselves.
Fahmida - Head Girl Team